Pharmaceuticals & Chemistry
Davies Collison Cave has the largest and most experienced Life Sciences practice in Australia. Our team of experienced pharmaceutical specialists provides expert advice and assistance in protecting IP in the highly competitive field of pharmaceutical innovation.
Our team is experienced in providing a full range of IP services including patents, designs and trade marks as well as those areas of critical importance to the pharmaceutical industry such as litigation and mediation, analysis of competitor and generic positions, patent term extensions, data exclusivity and regulatory issues.
The pharmaceuticals group has particular expertise in obtaining pharmaceutical patent term extensions. In fact we can proudly make the claim that we prosecute more Australian pharmaceutical patent term extensions than any other firm.
The IP services provided by our team include:
- patent drafting and prosecution around the world
- patent portfolio planning and analysis
- freedom-to-operate searching and advice
- advice on strategic management of IP (including freedom-to-operate, non-infringement, validity and patentability opinions)
- analysis of competitor and other third party positions (evaluation, acquisition and exploitation of technology)
- advice and support in obtaining pharmaceutical patent extensions of term
- monitoring competitor activity
- patent opposition, litigation and mediation
- advice and support in obtaining registered designs
- trade mark searching and registrations
Our pharmaceutical specialists, most of whom hold higher degrees and have relevant industry and postdoctoral experience, have extensive expertise in areas including:
- animal and human health products
- product formulation
- dosing regimens
- crystalline forms
- drug delivery systems
- organic chemistry
- small molecule pharmaceuticals
- medicinal chemistry
- combinatorial chemistry
- natural products
- peptides, proteins and carbohydrates
- food technology and nutritionals
- plant protection and plant products
Supporting our Life Sciences team, DCC has Chemistry/Materials Science and Medical Device teams, with expertise in life science related technologies such as clean technology, nanotechnology, biomaterials, diagnostics and bioengineering.
Our trade mark and commercial lawyers are experts at identifying and protecting your distinctive branding and drafting appropriate commercial agreements and contracts to ensure your IP is secure.
Pharmaceutical IP Litigation
We have one of the largest specialist IP litigation groups in Australia providing us with a substantial pool of lawyers to select from. Our Pharmaceutical IP litigation team is highly experienced in all aspects of national and multi-jurisdictional patent litigation, challenges to IP Australia and regulatory authority decisions, and alternative dispute resolution in the pharmaceutical industry sector.